Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's so hard to be five!

I have a five year old boy. We are going through some crazy stuff right now.

I really never thought that I would have a child that was so defiant. When I was a teen, I had this vision of motherhood. I wanted to be just like June Cleaver, well with a little more personality. I thought I would keep house very well, wear the A line-skirt with a little gathered apron, make wonderful food, and look beautiful for my husband. I also thought that my kids would be obedient and almost perfect, with an occasional naughtiness here and there. Oh I had it all figured out.

Flash forward ten years. I have been married 6 years. Our house is messy more of the time than it is clean. My children act out more than they obey. I would also like to say, I have had more bad hair days since I've had kids, than I ever had before them, plus my clothes don't fit the way they should, because I still believe I'm 20 and not 26, 5 accumulative years postpartum. Please don't misunderstand. I love my life and I would make all the same choices again. I just did not expect the chaos and I'm using this to process it.

Also I have a 5 yr old boy. He has always been defiant. He was defiant as a newborn. I swear. He refused to open his big giant mouth. We would latch and re-latch a dozen times every time I tried to nurse him, and he insisted on latching his way, not the way I insisted. Believe what you want, but I was there.

He is coming to a whole new level of  defiance that I never expected from a 5 yr old. He talks back, He argues. He mimics me in a mocking tone. He blatantly disobeys. He hits his sister all the time, all the time. Some of the stuff is pretty funny, but I can't let him see me enjoy it, because that will just encourage it.

I am just hoping, this is a phase. We will deal with the issues as they arise and discipline as necessary. I am hoping to solve this before he reaches adolescence.