Monday, June 25, 2012

Going "No 'Poo"

After searching the web for a natural solution to my new overly oily scalp problem, I stumbled upon a Crunchy Betty post about going shampoo less. considering the years of trouble over my scalp, and recalling a friend of mine who went no 'poo and has fabulous hair, I have decided to take the plunge.

First I would like to mention that my husband was far less excited about my new journey into the realm of 'pooless hair. I'm sure he's thinking, "I didn't know I married a hippy." But he is supporting me, as he sees I am desperate for a long term solution.

So I have gone 6 days with out shampoo. The first day I used Coconut butter wash on my hair. It's just coconut butter and castile soap. That relieved the itching and the flaking. The next night I used a baking soda was, one table spoon baking soda 3 cups water, Which left my hair beautiful and unitchy. Then I didn't wash it for 3 days. That was difficult. I kept telling myself my hair didn't look gross. I really hope it didn't. If it did, I'm sorry to all the people I encountered. Then my head was itchy again, so I sort of over did it. I first did a baking soda wash, the greasiness was killing me, and then a coconut butter wash, then rinsed with Apple cider vinegar, 1 tbl spoon acv and 2 cups water. I am back to a moderately tolerable look, but my scalp feels great.

I'm giving my scalp three weeks to get used to this. If it works, I will never go back.